|Key Cast||John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, James Caan|
|MPAA Rating||Not Rated|
|Genre(s)||Western, Action, Adventure|
John Wayne and Robert Mitchum take on the Bad Guys!
Cole Thornton (John Wayne) is a professional gunman who comes to “El Dorado” for a job with a rich landowner named Bart Jason (Ed Asner). After arriving, Thornton discovers that his good friend, J.P. Harrah (Robert Mitchum), is the town sheriff and that all is not well in the town of El Dorado. There is a land war going on and Bart Jason is behind the trouble.
Thornton finds out from his Sheriff friend that the man he has come into town to work for, Bart Jason is underhanded and is an enemy of the Sheriff. Based on all that he learns, Thornton decides not to take the job with Jason, but this suddenly makes him an enemy of Jason and his hired guns, too. (As far as Bart Jason is concerned, if you’re not with him then you’re against him!)
Now Thornton finds himself in a situation where he needs to help his Sheriff friend, but this isn’t going to be easy because Sheriff J.P. has a drinking problem, making him very shaky.
In the meantime, Thornton befriends a young knife thrower named “Mississippi” (James Caan) who offers his help to Thornton and the Sheriff. They all know that it is going to be a matter of time before Bart Jason comes back into town for trouble.
Billed as “The Big One, With the Big Two” the movie “El Dorado” is a great Howard Hawks western.
• “El Dorado” is based on a novel by Harry Brown named The Stars in Their Courses. However, Harry Brown did not want his book mentioned in the credits for the film because he felt that the film version bore little resemblance to his book.
• Howard Hawks, the director of “El Dorado,” also made two other western movies using the same theme. They were “Rio Lobo” and “Rio Bravo.”
• Famous western artist, Olaf Wieghorst appears in “El Dorado” as the gunsmith, Swede Larsen. You can find out more about him and his art at the Olaf Wieghorst Museum web site.
• The location scenes for “El Dorado” were filmed in Arizona.
El Dorado DVD
John Wayne, Robert Mitchum and James Caan co-star in this classic western that was directed by acclaimed director Howard Hawks.
El Dorado Blu-Ray Disc
Watch “El Dorado” in Blu-ray and also enjoy the additional special features available only on this disc.
• Commentary by Film Historian and Critic Richard Schickel with Actor Ed Asner and Todd McCarthy • Ride Boldy Ride: The Journey to El Dorado Featurette • The Artist and the American West Featurette • Behind the Gates: A. C. Lyles Remembers John Wayne Featurette • Theatrical Movie Trailer
Instant Download | Streaming
Watch “El Dorado” Now
You can watch this great western movie right now by instantly downloading it from Amazon Instant Video. You have your choice of watching it in Standard Definition (SD) or High Definition (HD) video. Use the Shop Instantbutton on the left to go directly to a page with more details.
Join Our Mailing List
We keep your information private and do not sell or share our mailing list with anyone else. Also, you can easily unsubscribe at any time.