Have Gun Will Travel TV Series
|Original Air Dates||1957 - 1963|
|Key Cast||Richard Boone|
In trouble? Situation desperate? Then you need Paladin.
Richard Boone starred in “Have Gun – Will Travel” as Paladin, a gun for hire for people on the right side of the law and desperate for justice.
He was not your typical western gunslinger. Paladin was college-educated, loved the finer things of life, quoted poetry and lived in a posh hotel in San Francisco. When he was hired for a job, he completely clad himself in black and put on his trademark holster with the symbol of a Paladin on it (the white chess knight). He also had the Paladin symbol on his rifle which he used masterfully when necessary.
“Have Gun- Will Travel” was a phenomenal success on television. The western premiered on September 14, 1957 and aired until September 23, 1961. It was always in the top 10 of the Nielsen television ratings and for three years, from 1958 to 1961, “Have Gun, Will Travel” was the third highest-rated program on television. (Only Gunsmoke and Wagon Train fared better.) There were 225 episodes of “Have Gun – Will Travel” made during its original four year span on television.
“Have Gun, Will Travel” could have lasted longer on television. The western ended when the star, Richard Boone, decided that he no longer wanted to make it. Unlike other popular television westerns of the time with ensemble casts, “Have Gun, Will Travel” had only one star from week-to-week and the show was totally dependent on him.
• What is a paladin? A paladin was originally used to describe one of the 12 knights who were part of King Charlemagne’s court. The word evolved over time to stand for anyone “who champions a noble cause.” It’s appropriate for Richard Boone in “Have Gun – Will Travel” because he fancies himself a man of gallantry who comes to the aid of people in dire need of his service.
• “Have Gun – Will Travel” was one of the first western TV shows of its time to appear on television before becoming a radio show. Many of the westerns that aired during the 1950s originated on radio. However, because of the enormous popularity of “Have Gun – Will Travel” the producers decided to make it into a radio show, too.
• One of the writers for the “Have Gun – Will Travel” was Harry Julian Fink. Fink wrote 13 episodes for “Have Gun – Will Travel” and later went on to write the John Wayne westerns Big Jake and Cahill U.S. Marshall.
• Ida Lupino was the first woman to ever direct a western TV show. The first TV western she directed was the episode The Man Who Lost for “Have Gun – Will Travel.” (This episode is available in this DVD set.) Ida Lupino directed seven episodes for the “Have Gun – Will Travel” TV show. A woman of many talents, she also became famous as an actress.
• After leaving “Have Gun Will Travel,” Richard Boone began starring in movies. He starred in three notable westerns as a convincing villain – Hombre, Big Jake and The Shootist – as well as a number of other great films. He briefly had a television show named “The Richard Boone Show” (1963-1964) and another western series named “The Hec Ramsey Show” (1972-1974) in which he starred as Hec Ramsey.
Season 1 DVD Collection
Have Gun Will Travel TV Show Season 1 DVD Set
Richard Boone stars as Paladin – a cowboy for hire for people who are in desperate situations and need someone who is fearless, smart and handy-with-a-gun. This Season 1 DVD collection contains all of the episodes from the first season of this great western.
Season 2 DVD Collection
Have Gun Will Travel TV Show Season 2 DVD Set
This DVD set contains all of the episodes from the second season for “Have Gun Will Travel” starring Richard Boone.
Season 3 DVD Collection
Have Gun Will Travel Season 3 DVD Set
If you enjoyed the first two seasons of “Have Gun Will Travel,” then you’ll enjoy this third season of the show. Some of the guest stars during this season were James Coburn, Werner Klemperer and Raymond Bailey.
Season 4, Volume 1 DVD Collection
Have Gun Will Travel Season 4, Volume 1 DVD Collection
You can watch the first half of the exciting Season 4 of “Have Gun Will Travel” with this DVD set. It contains three discs with 19 episodes from season 4.
Season 4, Volume 2 DVD Collection
Have Gun Will Travel Season 4, Volume 2 DVD Collection
This DVD set contains the second half of Season 4 of “Have Gun Will Travel.” It contains 3 discs totaling 490 minutes of great western entertainment.
Season 5, Volume 1 DVD Collection
Have Gun Will Travel Season 5, Volume 1 DVD Collection
This was the last season that “Have Gun Will Travel” originally aired on television. This DVD set contains the first 19 episodes from this season on three DVDs.
Season 5, Volume 2 DVD Collection
Have Gun Will Travel Season 5, Volume 2 DVD Collection
This DVD set contains the last 19 episodes from the final season for “Have Gun Will Travel.”
The Complete Collection - All Five Seasons
Have Gun Will Travel Complete 5 Season DVD Collection
Instead of ordering one season at a time, why not order all five seasons at once? You can save time, shipping and money. This DVD set contains all of the episodes from this great, classic western TV series.
Join Our Mailing List
We keep your information private and do not sell or share our mailing list with anyone else. Also, you can easily unsubscribe at any time.