|Key Cast||Paul Newman, Melvyn Douglas, Patricia Neal, Brandon De Wilde, Whit Bissell, Crahan Denton|
|MPAA Rating||Not Rated|
|Film Type||Black and White|
Paul Newman and Patricia Neal star in this Provocative Texas Western
Hud Bannon (Paul Newman) is rebellious and self-centered cowboy who lives with his father, nephew and housekeeper. He doesn’t get along with his aging father, Homer (Melvyn Douglas), and has a somewhat distant relationship with his teenage nephew, Lonnie (Brandon de Wilde). Despite his grandfather’s warning about Hud, Lonnie looks up to him and considers him misunderstood.
Hud’s relationship with the housekeeper, Alma (Patricia Neal) is more complicated. She sees him for what he is, a no-good and self-absorbed cowboy, but finds herself fighting off his sexual attraction to her and her temptation towards him.
The family melodrama gets even more tense when the Bannon’s cattle develop hoof-and-mouth disease and the father, Homer, and son, Hud, argue about what to do. Hud wants to quickly sell the cattle (without telling the buyer that they have hoof-and-mouth disease) while the father wants them all killed.
It’s hot in Texas and in the Bannon home. Hud plans to get what he wants, even if he has to take it!
• Patricia Neal and Melvyn Douglas both won Best Acting Academy Awards for their outstanding performances in “Hud.” Paul Newman was also nominated for a Best Actor Academy Award but loss to Sidney Poitier, who won for his role in “Lilies of the Field.”
• To prepare for his role as Hud, Paul Newman worked on a Texas cattle ranch for a few weeks.
• “Hud” is based on the novel “Horseman, Pass By” by Larry McMurtry. The book was released in 1961. In the book “Hud” the story is told from the perspective of the young nephew, Lonnie. The movie version is different. Instead, the movie focuses on Hud Bannon because the studio thought that this perspective would make the screenplay better and the film more attractive to viewers.
• As a tribute to his role in “Hud”, Paul Newman named one of his sauces for charity after his character in the film. It is “Hud’s Molasses Grilled Pork with Port Wine Sauce.”
• “Hud” was filmed on location in Texas.
• “Hud” won three 1964 Academy Awards: Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Melvyn Douglas), Best Actress in a Leading Role (Patricia Neal) and Best Black and White Cinematography (James Wong Howe)
• “Hud” was also nominated for four additional 1964 Academy Awards: Best Actor in a Leading Role (Paul Newman), Best Director (Martin Ritt), Best Screenplay Writing (Irving Ravetch and Harriet Frank Jr.)
• Martin Ritt won the 1964 Directors Guild of America Award for Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Motion Pictures.
• “Hud” was also nominated for five 1964 Golden Globe Awards: Best Motion Picture, Best Actor (Paul Newman), Best Director (Martin Ritt), Best Supporting Actor (Melvyn Douglas) and Best Supporting Actress (Patricia Neal)
Hud Movie DVD
Paul Newman and Patricia Neal star in this dramatic western centered around a dysfunctional Texas ranching family.
Instant Download | Streaming
Hud Instant Download
You can watch “Hud” right now by downloading it from Amazon Instant Video. You have your choice of Standard Definition (SD) or High Definition (HD) video. Click the Shop Instant button to go directly to a page with details.
Join Our Mailing List
We keep your information private and do not sell or share our mailing list with anyone else. Also, you can easily unsubscribe at any time.