The Magnificent Seven
|Key Cast||Yul Brynner, Eli Wallach, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, Robert Vaughn, Brad Dexter, James Coburn|
|Genre(s)||Western, Adventure, Drama|
Seven Gunmen Protect a Small Village from an Evil Gang of Desperadoes
Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, James Coburn and Charles Bronson lead an all-star cast in the legendary cowboy western – “The Magnificent Seven.”
Ruthless gang leader Calvera (Eli Wallach) and his men regularly terrorize a poor Mexican village where the people are unable to defend themselves. They take the peasant farmers’ food and kill at will, stoking despair and fear. Desperate, a group of men from the village agree that something needs to be done, so they to go to the next local town in search of help.
After witnessing the bravery of Chris Adams (Yul Brynner), the village men approach him. They explain their plight to Adams and plead for his help. Adam knows that he cannot protect the village by himself, so starts looking around town for other fearless men to help. Ultimately he finds six other gun and/or knife slinger cowboys. They are Vin (Steve McQueen), Bernardo O’Reilly (Charles Bronson), Britt (James Coburn), Lee (Robert Vaughn), Harry Luck (Brad Dexter) and Chico (Horst Buchholz).
Now there are a total of seven cocky and confident men willing to protect the village from their tormenters – “The Magnificent Seven.”
It’s only a matter of time before Calvera returns to the peasant village with his ruthless gang. This time, they will not be able to easily kill and take whatever they want. “The Magnificent Seven” will be there to stop them!
• “The Magnificent Seven” is based on the Japanese film “The Seven Samurai” by Akira Kurosawa, Shinobu Hashimoto and Hideo Oguni. “The Seven Samurai” was released in 1954 and many film critics consider it a masterpiece. Akira Kurosawa is also directed “Yojimbo” which was the Japanese film that was the basis for another great classic western – “Fistful of Dollars” – which is credited with launching the spaghetti western movie craze in the late sixties, early seventies.
• There are three movie sequels to “The Magnificent Seven.” They are:
– “Return of the Magnificent Seven ” (1966) – Yul Brynner stars in this sequel and the emphasis in this follow-up film is action and not as much character development as the original classic western.
– “Guns of the Magnificent Seven ” (1969) – George Kennedy stars in this version that was made three years later. Although the same production company that made the original “The Magnificent Seven” created this western, they filmed this sequel in Spain.
– “The Magnificent Seven Ride ” (1972) – Lee Van Cleef headlines the cast in this sequel. Since spaghetti westerns were enormously popular at this time, this version is more like a spaghetti western than the original.
• The director of “The Magnificent Seven”, John Sturges, also directed these other top classic western films:
Bad Day at Black Rock
Gunfight at O. K. Corral
The Last Train from Gun Hill
• This movie was the inspiration for “The Magnificent Seven Television Show” that ran for two seasons from 1998-2000. In the television series, the seven men join together to protect a Seminole Indian village from a group of men who want to annihilate them called The Ghosts of the Confederacy.
• “The Magnificent Seven” was filmed on location in Mexico. The village used in the movie was built specifically for the film.
The Magnificent Seven Movie DVD
Yul Brynner leads an all-star cast of men who agree to protect a small Mexican village from a gang of desperadoes. They are “The Magnificent Seven” and each of them brings a special talent and fearlessness to the job.
Other major co-stars in this cowboy western are: Steve McQueen, James Coburn and Charles Bronson.
The Magnificent Seven Blu-Ray DiscWatch “The Magnificent Seven” in larger-than-life, high-definition imagery with this Blu-ray DVD.
Bonus features on this DVD are:
• Audio Commentary Featuring actors James Coburn, Eli Wallach and Walter Mirisch
• Guns For Hire – The Making Of The Magnificent Seven
• Elmer Bernstein And The Magnificent Seven
• The Linen Book: Lost Images from The Magnificent Seven
• and more!
Instant Download | Streaming
The Magnificent Seven Instant Download
Why wait? You can watch “The Magnificent Seven” right now by downloading it to your computer (or other media device). Click the Stream/Download button for more details.
Join Our Mailing List
We keep your information private and do not sell or share our mailing list with anyone else. Also, you can easily unsubscribe at any time.