|Key Cast||Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman, Richard Harris|
“Unforgiven” is Clint Eastwood’s Intense Ode to the Western
Clint Eastwood is synonymous with the Spaghetti Westerns of the 1960s and perfected the role of the grizzled loner.
The movie “Unforgiven” revisits this classic western type in a darker tale that explores the nature of violence in the Old West.
Clint Eastwood stars as a retired and widowed gunfighter, William Munny, who has renounced violence and devoted himself to farming and supporting his children. Hopes for their financial security lead him to reluctantly agree to help a hotshot youngster, the Schofield Kid (Jaimz Woolvett), in tracking down a pair of ruffians who mutilated a prostitute (Anna Levine) in Big Whiskey, Wyoming. He enlists the help of an equally past-his-prime—and equally ambivalent—Ned Logan (Morgan Freeman) for the venture, and the trio strikes out.
The $1,000 reward for the offenders has been posted by Strawberry Alice (Frances Fisher) and the other prostitutes of Big Whiskey, who want the cowboys to pay for scarring their fellow prostitute. However, the quest for justice is strongly opposed by the sheriff, Little Bill Daggett (Gene Hackman), who had let the cowboys get away with the crime. Daggett quickly demonstrates his ruthless authority when gunfighter English Bob (Richard Harris), accompanied by an eager biographer named W.W. Beauchamp (Saul Rubinek), shows up in town. Daggett’s ruthlessness will soon come to clash with Munny’s weary, but fiercely strong determination.
Among the greatest Westerns ever made, Clint Eastwood’s dark, troubling “Unforgiven” (1992) functions as an ode to the genre and a turning of it on its head at the same time. “Unforgiven” was heavily celebrated at the Oscars, picking up awards for Best Picture, Best Director (for Clint Eastwood), and Best Actor in a Supporting Role (Gene Hackman). It is only one of three western movies to ever win the Best Picture Academy Award.
• There are only three western movies that have ever won the Best Picture Academy Award and “Unforgiven” is one of them. The other two westerns that have won this award are “Dances with Wolves” and “Cimarron.”
• In addition to being a celebrated actor, Clint Eastwood is also a very successful movie director. To date, he has directed 35 movies, with “Unforgiven” being the last western that he directed. Other western movies that Clint Eastwood has directed are:
The Outlaw Josey Wales
High Plains Drifter
• The boots that Clint Eastwood wore in “Unforgiven” are the same boots that he wore in the western television series “Rawhide.” Clint Eastwood starred in this western TV show from 1959 to 1965 and it was the program that helped to launch his stellar Hollywood career. “Rawhide” was about a cattle drive boss and his men who were herding cattle to Kansas and the interesting (oftentimes dangerous) people and situations they encountered along the way. Clint Eastwood starred as Rowdy Yates, the trail boss’s right hand man.
• “Unforgiven” has won many film awards, including the “Best Picture” Academy Award. Additionally, it was added to the U.S. Library of Congress National Film Registry in 2004.
• Clint Eastwood won numerous directorial awards for directing “Unforgiven” – Best Director Academy Award, Best Director Golden Globe Award, Best Director National Society of Film Critics and Directors Guild of America Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Motion Pictures Award.
• The Western Heritage Association awarded the Bronze Wrangler Award for Best Theatrical Motion Picture to “Unforgiven.”
• Actor Gene Hackman won multiple Best Supporting Actor awards for his performance as Little Bill Daggett in “Unforgiven.”
Golden Globe Award
National Society of Film Critics
New York Film Critics Circle
BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts)
Boston Society of Film Critics
Los Angeles Film Critics Association Awards
Unforgiven Movie DVD
Among the greatest Westerns ever made, Clint Eastwood’s “Unforgiven” functions as an ode to the genre and a turning of it on its head at the same time.
This is one of the few western movies to ever win the Best Picture Academy Award.
Unforgiven Blu-ray DiscThis high-quality Blu-ray disc of “Unforgiven” has the best picture quality available for home viewing of this great western film.
Additionally, this special Blu-ray edition contains four documentaries and lots of other great bonus features:
• Commentary By Eastwood Biographer Richard Schickel
• All On Accounta Pullin’ A Trigger Documentary
• Eastwood & Co.: Making Unforgiven Documentary
• Eastwood…A Star Documentary
• Eastwood On Eastwood Documentary
• Classic Maverick Episode Duel At Sundown
• Theatrical Trailer
Instant Download | Streaming
Watch “Unforgiven” Right Now!
Why wait? You can watch “Unforgiven” right now by downloading it to your computer or other media streaming device. You have your choice of watching it in SD or HD video.
Click the button to go directly to the “Unforgiven” instant streaming movie page with more details.
Join Our Mailing List
We keep your information private and do not sell or share our mailing list with anyone else. Also, you can easily unsubscribe at any time.